This week my hubby and I needed to complete another medical and blood work for our dossier. The other one would stale date in about 4 months. Tells you how ploddie we are in this process...Anyway the lovely Dr apologized to hubby for giving him a lot of blood work to do (she wanted extra for her own records because he has no past baseline cholesterol or glucose level to compare with) and sent him on his merry way. She completed my assessment and then proceeded to remind me that my BMI was less than ideal and then she leaned in closer to me. I thought maybe she was going to go into some intelligent conversation regarding exercise routines or ask how all that is going for me (since I explained earlier that I was attempting to make my workouts a healthy habit). Instead in her beautiful South African accent she proceeds to say, "they say all it takes is a piece of chocolate this big everyday to increase your weight by 10 pounds a year, maybe if you keep that in mind it will help" As she's quoting this incredible bit of brilliant info (hear the sarcasm) she has her thumb and forefinger in the shape of an O. "Wow", I was thinking, "I can't believe she just said that!" So I dumbly nodded my head and that was that.
Unfortunately that's all it took for my self-esteem and confidence to take a killer nosedive. I am happy to say that I didn't go out to drown my sorrows in some high fat high calorie comfort, but I did let this conversation replay in my head along with the shame I feel for having let myself get to the point of being overweight by some really unhealthy eating and exercise (or lack of) habits over and over that day. I am not angry with the good Dr anymore, nor am I going to take my frustrations out by stuffing my face. Been there, done that, don't like the consequences physically as well as spiritually. Instead, I talked it over with Jesus, told Him that I was so ashamed of myself for basically not being responsible for the temple of the Holy Spirit and asked Him to forgive me for trying to gain comfort from His gifts of sustenance instead of from Him.
That being said, our dossier is basically done. Tomorrow morning last round of blood work, next week meet with SW and sign homestudy and then send off the rest of the stuff! WooHoo!
We witness a miracle every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hands. ~~~ Kristi Larson
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- The Friesens
- We have been beyond blessed with 3 incredible boys and are anticipating with much joy the addition of our daughter from Ethiopia
2 comments:
You have a WAY better attitude about it than I would! I applaud you for your ability to "forgive and forget" so quickly.
My doctor told me that I need consider a "healthier lifestyle" and that I, as well, as not on the health side of the BMI.
Personally, I think the BMI is a loud of hooey. My sister-in-law is over-weight on the BMI and she runs at least 5 miles a day, does pilates, yoga and eats ONLY healthy food.
So, HOOEY is my opinion about the BMI.
Now, if they brought out one that considers genetics, muscle mass, fat content, etc, I might change my tune a bit. But until then, it's not valid.
P.S. I have tried commenting on several of your blogs, but it never seems to go through. Here's hoping this one does.
P.P.S. You are beautiful in mine...Stan's...and most importantly, God's eyes.
Thanks so much Wendy. You are a sweetheart!
Post a Comment